Back in November 2015, the Chinese hi tech company Huawei Technologies signed a deal with ETECSA to provide training, smart phone parts and smartphones. This means an unlocked Huawei smartphone will work in Cuba. Huawei is also involved in a major broadband fibre optic project in Havana.
Huawei released a new smartphone in April where they partnered with the world’s best camera company Leica. The new P9 by Huawei is bound to cause some stiff competition for Apple’s iPhone and Samsung markets. The P9 will retail for about €449 for 3GB of RAM (currently the Euro pricing is only available at the time of writing). So if your smartphone is your main tool for capturing great photos while traveling, we’d recommend an unlocked Huawei phone for use in Cuba. We’ve added Huawei phones to the list of phones to use in Cuba. Make sure you buy an unlocked phone that has the capability to work with the Cuban network.
Huawei P8 lite – 5″ Unlocked $229.99
- Dual SIM card slots
- Android 5.0, Kirin 620, Octa Core 1.2GHz
- Support Network WCDMA, GSM, FDD-LTE;Support WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc
- 5.0 inch TFT, Capacitive screen 1280 x 720 pixels
- 5.0MP front camera, 13.0MP back camera
- 2GB RAM 16GB ROM, support TF card up to 32GB (not included)
BLU Studio G – Unlocked $79.00
- Processor: Quad Core 1.3GHz
- Screen Size: 5″ (480 x 854)
- Camera: 5MP Autofocus Main Camera + VGA Front Camera
- Memory: 4GB internal – 512MB RAM
- Unlocked Dual Sim Phone
The BLU Studio G Cellphone is available at Amazon with free shipping: BLU Studio G – Unlocked – Black
Currently Cuba’s network is the 2G mobile network GSM 900 and UMTS 2100, a second-generation of cellular telephone technology. For a smartphone or cell phone to function in Cuba, it must be compatible to Cuba’s network carrier.
Here’s our list of suggested unlocked smartphones for use in Cuba. These Cuba cell phones are affordable, attractive and unlocked and will function in Cuba and elsewhere globally (check out the mobile network for individual carriers elsewhere). Most of these phones come with dual SIM card capacity whereby you can simply switch between your home SIM card and your Cuban SIM card. Mobile phones with the unlocked dual sim card feature are excellent for traveling purposes if you’re always on the go. Use your local SIM card in one slot and a Cuban SIM card in the other. Switch calls between SIM cards as needed.
A Cuban SIM card can be purchased through most ETECSA offices and costs about $40 US.
These unlocked Cuba cell phones are made by BLU (Bold Like Us), a corporation with head offices in Miami. BLU manufactures and sells these mobile devices in over 40 countries worldwide. You can also find BLU mobile phones in Cuba, but you’ll pay a much higher price than listed here.
The Huawei phones are made in China by the Huawei Corporation which manufactures quality smartphones and is increasingly posing stiff competition to the iPhone and Samsung market leaders.
These Cuba cell phones operate on the Android operating system and are Nauta (Cuba’s email system) compatible – if you’re planning to purchase a phone for friend or family in Cuba. Of note: you’ll pay much less if you buy any of these smartphones ahead of time from Amazon. Free shipping is available with a minimum purchase.
- Processor: Dual-Core 1.3 GHz Processor 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- Screen size: 4″ TFT Display; Multi-Touchscreen
- Operating system: Android v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Camera: 2 Megapixel Camera (1600 x 1200 pixels) w/ LED Flash, Front-Facing VGA Camera
- Memory: 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM + microSD Slot expandable up to 64G