The bio-pharmaceutical industry is an important economic sector for many countries. Cuba has created a strong bio-pharma industry with the development and manufacturing of generic drugs and alternative medicines. The biotechnology industry in Cuba has been an overwhelming success because of its government policies directed towards supporting health care and the health of its citizens.
With the possibility of the US government lifting its embargo, the result offers tremendous investment opportunities for foreign investors. There was a strong presence of bio-pharmaceutical companies exhibiting at the FIHAV in Havana this year. One of them was Heber Biotech with offers a wide range of new medical products such as Heberprot-P, the vaccine Heberpenta – L, HeberFERON and HeberNem for stimulating crop growth. Several Cuban health tourism companies also had booths at the trade fair.
International pharmaceutical companies including those in the US can finally partner with Cuban pharmaceutical companies and medical research institutions. Russia, a long time partner with Cuba is very interested in developing the medical technology and pharmaceutical sectors in Cuba. Other benefits to countries which partner with the Cuban biotech industries include the sharing of medical and pharmaceutical research and reduction in production costs.
Cuba’s growing bio-pharmaceutical industry is seeking an influx of foreign capital to build new drug manufacturing plants in the country. The estimated amount needed for each project ranges from $15 to $160 million USD. There are 13 different investment opportunities available ranging from the production of antibiotics to contraceptives to oral generic medications. The following investment projects feature either a viability or pre-feasibility study.
Bio-Pharmaceutical Investment Opportunities in Cuba:
1. Drug manufacturing plant for the production of several vaccines. The vaccine production line includes exported drugs for the treatment of salmonella, meningococcal and cholera.
2. Homeopathic compounds production plant. The plant produces the homeopathic drugs for domestic use and exportation. The plant also includes facilities from the formulation to the bottling of the products and warehouses to store the ingredients for all pharmaceuticals.
3. Natural products production plant. The plant will create natural products from the extracts of medicinal plants. The products are for domestic use and exportation.
4. Monoclonal antibodies production plant. The plant will create monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of cancer and other chronic disease. The products are for exportation.
5. Oral medications production plant. This plant creates generic oral medication in the form of tablet and capsules for exportation.
6. Antiretroviral medicines production plant. The plant produces generic antiretroviral medicines in solid oral form such as tablets and capsules. The medications are for exportation.
7. Contraceptive products production plant. The plants will produce seven different form of oral contraceptives for exportation.
8. Blood-based production plant. The plant will process 100,000 liters of plasma every year for the production of Blood-Clotting Factor VIII and Blood-Clotting Factor IX. The products are for exportation.
9. Injectable medicines production plant. The plant will produce injectable liquid medication for exportation. Products include injectable ampoules and pre-filled syringes.
10. Dosage sprays production plant. The plant manufactures measured inhalers for exportation. The inhalers are for diseases such as asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases) and allergic respiratory diseases.
11. Solid oral medications production plant. The plants will produce oral medications from natural products in the form of tablets, caplets and capsules. The products are for domestic use and exportation to Latin America.
12. Injectable cephalosporins and carbapenemas production plant. The products are for domestic use and exportation.
13. Oral penicillin-based antibiotics production plant. The plant will produce oral penicillin-based antibiotics to treat diseases. The products are for domestic use and exportation.
The biotech industry helps with the development and treatment of many medical conditions. With foreign companies investing in Cuban pharmaceutical companies, there are also opportunities for improving the health care for the citizens of both countries and for people around the globe.
For more information on business opportunities for foreign investors in the Cuban Bio-tech industry, contact the ProCuba office.
Read more about the Cuban Biotechnology Industry in a report by Brookings Trustee, Bill Haseltine.