The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today announced an expanded Canada-Cuba Air Transport Agreement that allows for more airlines to operate between the two countries.
The expanded agreement builds on the 1998 Canada-Cuba Air Transport Agreement, last amended in 2009. Reached under Canada’s Blue Sky policy, which encourages long-term, sustainable competition and the development of international air services, the expanded agreement with Cuba will:
- allow any number of Canadian and Cuban airlines to offer services between the two countries;
- provide greater flexibility for airlines to offer air services using the flights of airlines from other countries (i.e. code-sharing);
- provide greater flexibility for airlines to introduce new prices to respond to consumer demand; and
- strengthen safety and security provisions.
The new rights under this expanded agreement are expected to be available for use by airlines in the coming weeks.
- Cuba is Canada’s 3rd largest international air travel market.
- Under Canada’s Blue Sky policy, the Government of Canada has concluded new or expanded air transport agreements covering more than 80 countries.
“This announcement provides more airlines with more flexibility to provide convenient flights to help travelers, businesses, shippers and the tourism industry. I am pleased to see an expanded agreement with Cuba, a top destination for Canadians traveling south.”
The Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
“Air Transport Agreements help support Canadian businesses, particularly small- and medium-sized enterprises, as they operate in global markets by strengthening people-to-people ties. Under Canada’s Global Markets Action Plan, tourism is a priority sector, highlighting its significance in creating jobs and economic growth for Canadians.”
The Honourable Ed Fast
Minister of International Trade
For further information: Zach Segal, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, Ottawa, 613-991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa, 613-993-0055
From our staff writers and editors.