Banking

The “Steel Piglets” of the Havana Banking District

• Bookmarks: 12


Like similar financial districts, distributed in an area of ​​approximately two square kilometers, this building was the epicenter of what came to be called at the time of its greatest splendor, the Old Havana Banking District. It was a kind of tropical New York-style Wall Street, where there were more than twenty banks that operated mostly with capital from the United States, during the first half of the 20th century. Founded in 1915, the Bank of Havana was one of the first to be built in the area by Cubans and with their own money, although it soon passed under the control of the National City Bank of New York. Very close to this, the Banco del Comercio was inaugurated in 1929, which was established…

TO READ THE FULL STORY:

 SUBSCRIBE

 SIGN IN

Unbiased reporting on economic news and business developments in Cuba by industry sector

 

comments icon0 comments
bookmark icon

Write a comment...

error: This content is copyright protected.